wfb2sql is a Perl script that extracts information from the CIA World Factbook and creates SQL statements for IBM DB/2, PostgreSQL or MySQL. This data builds a perfect database for learning and teaching SQL.
07/20/2003: wfb2sql is now being hosted on SourceForge.net.
05/23/2003: Version 0.3 released. Several bugfixes.
wfb2sql is able to create SQL-statements for the following databases:
- IBM DB/2
The following information can be extracted from the "CIA World Factbook":
- Country information (name, background, capital, area, coastline)
- Population information (birth rate, death rate, age structure, labour force, population, population growth)
- Communication data (number of mainlines in use, cellphones, internet users, internet service providers)
- Dependent countries
- Organization memberships
- Border countries
- Maps and small or large flag images (as BLOBs)
- Outputs schema data and/or INSERT-statements
- All options can be set via a configuration file or command line switches
wfb2sql (19 kB)
You also need the CIA World Factbook.
Perl 5.004 or higher, Getopt::Long, Pod::Usage, Options::General
Getopt::Long is availiable at http://search.cpan.org/author/JV/Getopt-Long-2.33/
Pod::Usage is availiable at http://search.cpan.org/author/MAREKR/PodParser-1.21/
Options::General is available at http://search.cpan.org/author/SIMON/Config-Auto-0.03/
The man page is also available as HTML. Information on the latest changes are available in the ChangeLog.
The CIA World Factbook
The Factbook is available for free at http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/. Extract from the Copyright-Statement: "The Factbook is in the public domain. Accordingly, it may be copied freely without permission of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).". The complete .zip-archive has as size of approx. 85 MB. Since wfb2sql doesn't need the included PDF-maps, you may also decide to download the smaller version without the PDF-maps. This download is about 15 MB.
wfb2sql has been published under the GNU General Public License.
wfb2sql, Copyright © 2003 University of Tübingen, Arbeitsbereich Datenbanken und Informationssysteme. All rights reserved.